PEI is one of Canada’s eastern maritime provinces and the smallest province in Canada. It is an important province because it is also the ‘birthplace of confederation’. It is renowned for its potatoes, seafood, lighthouses, and red-sand beaches. Agriculture and fishery are key contributors to its economy.
Through its Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP), prospective immigrants with the skills and experience may receive a PEI Provincial Nomination Certificate. This allows them to apply for Canadian permanent residence with fast processing times.
Under this, there are three major immigration categories:
- Business Impact Category
- Labour Impact Category
- PEI PNP Express Entry Stream
Business Impact Category
This is for individuals who want to invest in and operate a business in PEI. From September 20, 2018, only applications under the following stream are accepted:
- Work Permit Stream – This stream allows individuals who wish to invest in a PEI business; and it allows them to transition to PEI on a work permit prior to permanent residency. Applicants must then fulfill all conditions of their Performance Agreement (during their time on a work permit). They will then be issued a nomination certificate.
Labour Impact Category
Under this stream, individuals with skills and experience that are needed in PEI’s labor market are accepted. This category has three streams:
- Skilled Worker Stream (in or outside Canada) – This stream is for workers who have been hired by a PEI employer or received a prospective job offer under NOC 0, A, or B. Eligible applicants will possess relevant experience and also have at least a post-secondary degree or diploma.
- Critical Worker Stream – This stream is for those already working for a PEI employer for 6 months. It is an employer-driven stream, thus allowing them to recruit workers under NOC C or D. From June 2019, this stream may also be used to recruit skilled overseas workers for approved trucking-sector employers.
- International Graduate Stream: This stream is for recent international graduate students from PEI. They must have a full-time job offer from a PEI employer as well as a valid post-graduate work permit.
PEI PNP Express Entry
Applicants eligible to enter the Federal Express Entry pool and also interested in living and working in PEI may apply to the PEI PNP Express Entry Stream. This, however, does not guarantee that all Express Entry profiles submitted will be reviewed or accepted. Only applicants that the PEI PNP has an interest in pursuing will be contacted.