Express Entry

Posted on Posted in Federal Immigration, Immigration Options

Starting in January 2015, there is a new system called Express Entry to manage how people with skilled work experience apply to immigrate to Canada.

Express Entry Program & Eligibility

There are three key economic Federal immigration programs:

1. Federal Skilled Worker Program,
2. Federal Skilled Trades Program, and
3. Canadian Experience Class.

If you are eligible to immigrate under one of the above federal immigration programs:

1. You will be placed in a pool with others who are also eligible,
2. You will then be ranked using several factors,
3. If you are one of the top candidates, you will get an Invitation to Apply
4. Once invited, you can apply online for permanent residence.

Through Express Entry, provinces and territories will also be able to nominate candidates in the Express Entry pool under their Provincial Nominee Program where applicable.

To be eligible for Express Entry, you must:

• Meet the requirements of one of the above programs, and
• Register with Canadian Job Bank, a database that can help match you with employers looking for workers with your skills.

Note that any job offer from an employer in Canada must be supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). An employer must go through this process to ensure there is a genuine labor market need before they can hire foreign workers. If you are a candidate who has a job offer supported by an LMIA or a provincial nomination, then you do not need to register with Job Bank.


You need to show that you meet the minimum language requirements for the category you are eligible under and provide your language test results from an agency designated by CIC in your Express Entry profile.

Your language test results must be less than two years old on the day you complete your application for permanent residence.

Skilled work experience

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:
• managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)
• professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
• technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)

You must have at least 12 months of full-time, or an equal amount of part-time, skilled work experience. Full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week.

Need Help –  Contact us