Federal Skilled Trades Program

Posted on Posted in Federal Immigration, Immigration Options

Minimum Requirement and Eligibility:

  • must plan to live outside the province of Quebec.  If you want to live in Quebec, refer to Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information),
  • must meet the required levels CLB 5 in English or NCLC 5 French for speaking and  listening, AND CLB 4 in English or NCLC 4 French for reading and writing
  • must have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply,
  • must meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), except for needing a certificate of qualification, and
  • must have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.

Skilled work experience

The eligibility for the Federal Skilled Trades Program is organized under these major and minor groups of the NOC:

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical, and construction trades,
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades,
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture, and related production,
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing, and utility supervisors and central control operators,
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks, and
  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers.

These major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations. (All are NOC skill type B.)

Skilled work education

There is no education requirement for this program however if you want to earn points you need:

  • a Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma, or degree
  • a foreign education credential that is equal to a completed Canadian Secondary or post-secondary certificate, diploma, or degree.
Contact us for a FREE evaluation.