Sponsor Parents and Grandparents

Posted on Posted in Immigration Options, Sponsorship

The cap has been reached and the application to sponsor parents and grandparents is now closed.

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and 18 years of age or older, you may be able to sponsor your parents or grandparents for permanent residency under the Family Class (FC). To sponsor your parent or grandparent, you must also be living in Canada.

Your Responsibility:

  • You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for them. This agreement also states that the sponsored relative will make every effort to support themselves. Dependents under age 22 do not have to sign this agreement. Quebec residents must sign an “undertaking” with the province of Quebec—a contract binding the sponsorship.
  • You must promise to provide financial support for the relative as well as any other eligible relatives accompanying them. This should be for a period of three to ten years, depending on their age and relationship with you. This time period begins on the date they become a permanent resident.

If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements after Citizenship and Immigration Canada approves you as a sponsor.

Need more information? – Contact Us