Study in Canada: A step by step guide for International Students

Posted on Posted in News

There are so many different learning institutions in Canada including ones that are private and public. If you would like to work in Canada after finishing your studies; it is recommended that you enroll in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), so that you may be eligible to obtain up to a 3-year post-graduate work permit (PGWP) depending on your length of study once you complete your study program. If your learning institution is not a DLI then you will not be eligible to apply for a PGWP.

To start the process, begin to look for a college/university you would like to attend, and then you apply to at least a couple of those institutions so that you could have a better chance of getting into one of them. When you receive an acceptance letter from a Canadian Designated  Learning Institution then you can apply for a study permit. Without a study permit, you cannot study in Canada. Find out if you are eligible to study in Canada.

Below is the step-by-step process to apply for a study permit studying in Canada:

  1. Start off by gathering your documents:

To submit a study permit application you need the following documents:

    • A valid passport
    • Acceptance Letter from your learning institution
    • Certificat acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) – If you would like to study in Quebec
    • Proof of funds: You must prove that you have sufficient funds to study in Canada. The minimum amounts of money you need to show are based on the number of dependents who would like to accompany you to Canada.

If you and two family members want to come to a province outside Quebec for a year, you will need:

Tuition + $10,000 (for you) +

$4,000 (for the first family member) +

$3,000 (for the second family member)

Total: Tuition + $17,000.

If you and two family members (over the age of 18) want to come to Quebec for a year, you will need:

Tuition + $11,000 (for you) +

$5,100 (for the first family member) +

$5,125 (for the second family member)

Total: Tuition + $21,225

If you have an accompanying family member – first family member if 18 years or older 5,100/year, if under 18 years 3,800/year

IRCC accepts the following documents as proof:

    • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you have transferred money to Canada
    • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
      • proof of a student/education loan from a bank
      • your bank statements for the past four months
      • a bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
      • proof you paid tuition and housing fees
      • a letter from the person or school giving you money or
      • proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.
  1. Other Documents:

    • Letter of explanation: Write a letter explaining why you want to study in Canada, your ties to your home country, your funds, your plan after completing your study, etc.
    • Visa Office instruction for a specific country, if applicable: Follow the visa office instruction.
  2. Fill up the forms required by IRCC: Depending on your personal profile you might need to fill up – an Application for a Study Permit Made Outside of Canada, Family Information, an Application for a Temporary Resident Visa, and another form as instructed by your Visa Office.
  3. Determine how you want to submit the application: There are two ways you could submit the application:
    • Online
    • On Paper
  4. Pay application processing fees: You must include the fee payment receipt with the application. The government requires an application fee of CAD $150 and a Biometric fee of $85.00 per person for a study permit. You can pay the government fee online and apply online OR pay the fee online and apply on Paper OR Pay and apply at VAC.
  5. Go through the medical exam, if required: IRCC will send you a letter asking you to go through a medical examination by the panel physician. Once it is done, it will be sent directly to IRCC by the doctor.
  6. Send passport to the visa office: If the visa office makes a positive decision then they will ask you to send a passport if the application is submitted online. If the application is submitted via VAC then you need to include your passport with the application.
  7. Receive confirmation documents and come to Canada: If you are approved you will get a confirmation letter. You need to show the following documents upon arrival at a Canadian port of entry:
    • Your letter from the visa office
    • Passport with a valid study permit and temporary resident visa
    • Letter of acceptance from your learning institution
    • Proof of funds documents

Welcome to Canada! Now that you have arrived, you may begin your studies. Remember you may work up to 20 hours per week while studying in Canada.

To find out your eligibility please fill up the FREE ASSESSMENT FORM and we will get back to you within 48 hours.