Visiting Canada? Make sure you have an ETA

Posted on Posted in News

January 29, 2016 – Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

From March 15, visa-exempt foreign nationals planning to fly to or transit through Canada will require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). U.S. citizens and travelers with valid visas are exempted. However, the entry requirements for traveling by land and sea have not been changed.

How to get an eTA? And how much does it cost?

You can complete the online form one person at a time. For instance, for a family of three, you will need to complete and submit three forms separately.

If you are living in the USA as a lawful permanent resident and you do not have a passport, you can apply for an eTA with a valid U.S. Refugee Travel Document (I-571), a valid Permit to Re-Enter the United States (I-327), a valid machine-readable immigrant visa (I-551), endorsed with a valid U.S. Admission Stamp.

To complete an online form, you need to have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country and a credit card to pay the fee. You also need a valid email address as you will receive an eTA via email, which costs only CDN $7.00. This is valid for 5 years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

How long does it take to get an eTA?

Most of the time applications are approved within minutes of applying. However, some requests may need more time to process. If this is the case for your application, you can expect an email from CIC within 72 hours that tells you what your next steps are.

Because this program is new, definitive processing times are not yet available. However, you will be notified by email when your eTA is approved. Your eTA is linked to the passport you used in your application. You need to present the passport you used to apply for your eTA to airline staff each time you board a flight to Canada.

Your eTA can be valid for up to six months or until the date prescribed by a border services officer on your arrival to Canada. But if you need to stay in Canada longer, you must apply to extend your stay.

If you need help extending your tourist visa, contact us.